Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Training in Boulder for marathons

Yesterday, the New York Times published an article (free registration required) on the training scene of top professional marathoners in Boulder. As always, I'm a little awestruck that these running superstars all converge on Boulder. (Check out my earlier post on the Japanese runners.)

My parents used to live in Albuquerque, and we would go visit them a couple of times a year. While I was there, I would frequently run around the perimeter of a local private school campus, which apparently was a favorite training loop from some Kenyan runners. (Albuquerque is at about the same elevation as Boulder.) They once passed me with their long, easy strides like I was standing still. At least, I think that happened. I'm not quite sure because I generally run in a haze of gasping exhaustion.

No comments: