Thursday, October 19, 2006

I love Halloween

I recently realized that I won't be home on Halloween. Halloween is a big event at my house, and trick-or-treating is huge in my neighborhood. We generally have 200-300 kids visit the house.

Usually, I go around with the boys while my wife stays home to greet the trick-or-treaters. I always wear a costume, and over the years my costumes have gotten ever more elaborate. Here's a shot of last year's, with my two boys:




My costume looks pretty unremarkable, but it was really cool (if I do say so myself) because Oscar the Grouch was a puppet. My arms are inside the trash can and controlling Oscar, and the arms in my sleeves are fake. As I said, it looks unremarkable, but in person, when Oscar popped up out of the can, people were mesmerized.

I had started planning this year's costume a month or two ago. (I always have some candidate ideas that I'm batting around in my head.) But now I'm going to be away on business. While I will be attending a couple of Halloween events on the prior weekend, it's just not the same. I guess I'll just have to table those costume ideas until next year.

No comments: